Monday, August 24, 2009

Adventures in San Diego

We were very lucky to be able to go to San Diego on our honeymoon. It was a beautiful city, the weather was lovely (although low 70's with a cool ocean breeze was a bit chilly for me...obviously I'm looking forward to this upcoming winter with a bit of hesitation :), and our little hotel was just perfect, complete with dishwasher and stove (thanks Mary and Rich!). But enough talk, I'll let the pictures tell the rest...


After too many trips to the airport to drop each other off, we finally got to fly together! Here we are after the quick flight on our cute little balcony.


We were going to explore downtown San Diego, but Mitchell got excited when we saw this in the distance. Needless to say, we had a change of plans and went exploring!

Isn't he cute?

Imperial Beach

This beach had a long boardwalk of sorts, which was not so much for viewing the ocean, as it was for hard-core fishing. These guys accidentally caught a baby shark!
At the end of the walk was a little fish and chips place, "The Tin Fish." We enjoyed imitating our meal in its previous life.


And of course, no trip to San Diego is complete without a visit to see.....

SHAMU!!!!

The Shamu show ("Believe") was quite impressive--they really work the heart-strings! And the adrenaline. We sat in the....

SOAK ZONE!!!
(not the "splash zone" mind you....)

Luckily my jacket shielded us, and we walked away relatively unscathed.

Sea World was a blast! It was nice and hot that day (which I soaked in, but Mitch found ways to avoid).


"Duude. Ain't no thang..."


Mitch made some new friends...

And got a neat little lunchbox. How exciting!!!

We also made a few trips up the coast to La Jolla. The first night we just did some sight-seeing.

Model-esque? I think so.

And went to the most charming Italian restaurant with food to die for!

On our next jaunt up to La Jolla, we went snorkeling. Neither of us had ever gone before so it was quite the exciting experience. I was surprised how difficult it was for me to not only get enough air to breathe through the snorkel but to keep the waves from overtaking me. Several times I just hung on to Mitch while gulping in deep breaths of air :) We saw leopard sharks and rays. It was so neat, you could just reach down and touch them. Sometimes we were in whole groups of sharks--maybe 10-14 of them at once. It was awesome!


All suited up!

Good lookin' is what I say!

And before we knew it, the week had come to an end. Fortunately, we were looking forward to heading home and settling into real life. But what better way to start our lives together, than a fun vacation to San Diego!

2 comments:

  1. I want a lunch box just like Mitch's. Everyone at work would be so jealous of me.

    The Italian food looks pretty good. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUN!!! Glad to hear you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete