After our refreshing stay at Clam Gulch, we headed a few miles down the road to our main destination: Homer! Despite spending the majority in my life in Alaska, this was my first trip to Homer. Upon arriving in town, Mitch drove us down to the Spit so I could see what I'd been missing out on all these years:
Bald eagles! (Well, one bald eagle).
I was excited toget my first close-up-and-personal look at a bald eagle in its natural habitat (minus the cars and buildings and men throwing pieces of salmon to it). I was surprised by how waddly it was when walking and how big its legs were. I guess there is a reason why all the inspirational Alaska videos only have shots of eagles in the air...
We spent the afternoon/evening walking around and window shopping. And of course, snapping a few touristy pictures!
Very excited to be in Homer!
The next day we took a sight-seeing tour over to Seldovia. Little did I know that to get to the boat I would have to manage my way down the steepest ramp! I was so nervous the whole way down, scuttling sideways, one foot at a time from foot-grip to foot-grip, certain that one wrong move would send me on a landslide. And of course, the guy sprinting down the left side of the ramp didn't make me feel foolish at all :)
I survived with only some minor heart palpitations, and we settled in for an enjoyable ride and some great views.
The cruise took us past gull island.
It was amazing how loud the birds were!
It was amazing how loud the birds were!
We took a short hike on the "Otterbahn" Trail which was made by the local students. My favorite sign read "The we-worked-hard-so-you'd-better-like-it Trail!" :)



The trail ended with a beautiful view.





We wrapped up the afternoon in Seldovia with a walk down the historic boardwalk.



After a fun day in Seldovia we relaxed on the boat ride home...a little tired but none worse the wear!
The trail ended with a beautiful view.
We wrapped up the afternoon in Seldovia with a walk down the historic boardwalk.
After a fun day in Seldovia we relaxed on the boat ride home...a little tired but none worse the wear!
NICE parka, Natalie! And tell Mitch those suspenders not only do the job but are HAWT.
ReplyDelete