Saturday, March 9, 2013

The thing about pears


Last night the kids and I were headed out the door for a walk after dinner since Mitch was at work. And by "headed out the door" I mean telling Charlotte to get her gloves 50 times while attempting to wrestle Elliot into his snowsuit. I was this close to bagging the whole idea, but I knew the fresh air would do us all good.

Not last night, though the tears in Elliot's eyes might make you think otherwise .

Finally, we were all by the front door, mostly suited up. But I made one fatal error--I put Elliot in his suit first. That meant that he was left to (literally) flop around like a beached whale while screaming his guts out because he couldn't use his hands to grab at the kitty door (a delightful little door for any little person over the age of 4 months). And really, when I think of it now, I can't hardly blame him. But at the time, that shriek was driving me nuts! So I scolded and kept plopping him on his bum to which he hollered louder and just kept flopping over attempting to crawl. That was when Charlotte chimed in (while I was trying to stuff her feet into her almost-too-tight-boots), "Elliot is being a pill!"

Yikes! Elliot had been crabby and unhappy not sleeping well in the past few weeks. And sometimes we would say, "Agghh, Elliot, you are being such a pill!" Or something to that effect. Nothing like hearing the not-so-flattering things you say in a sweet two-year-old voice to put you in your place.

"No Charlotte, Elliot isn't a pill. I know sometimes Mommy and Daddy say that, but it isn't nice and we need to be better. We aren't perfect, but we are trying to be better."

And with that, I took a deep breath and grabbed Elliot and laid him on his back. A few peek-a-boos later and he was actually smiling and laughing.

"See Charlotte, Mommy is trying to be patient and happy!" I threw out my little pep-talk (mostly for myself).

"That's right Mom! You're not a pear!" And with that, Charlotte gave me a big hug and a kiss.

Too sweet, huh? And while I may not be a pear (I've always thought of myself as more of a rectangle shape anyway), I can sometimes be a pill. Luckily I have been blessed with children who are so sweet and forgiving. And who throw out good reminders to not be a pill.....or a pear.



3 comments:

  1. I just read the story out loud to Issac. We loved it. Natalie, you are such a great writer. And the lesson here is great. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you were being pretty great! It's hard re,sponding to screaming or tantrums with patience but it sounds to me like you did anyway! We have a library book that ends with, "Baby, you're my perfect pear," which reminds me of your title here...because pears are sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those moments are so hard, when you feel disappointed in yourself as a mom! thanks for sharing this, it's encouraging for ppl like me who only have one baby and still get pretty frustrated. :)

    ReplyDelete