Okay, I said it! Apple pie...not my fave. But I'm usually not a fan of most fruit-filled desserts. Something about all the chewy crust (especially if it is store-bought) with thick, gummy "fruit" in the middle just doesn't do it for me. So I called off developing any kind of relationship with fruit pies--until I met this bad boy (after Mitch specifically requested an apple pie for Thanksgiving several years ago). It has been a passionate affair ever since!
The best part about this pie is the topping. It means only making one pie crust (plus!) and eliminates the too-much-crust problem. Yum.
So without further ado: go make an apple pie!
Crumb-topped Apple Pie
(I found this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine...you can find the original recipe online here).
Pie Crust
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 shortening
- 1/4 cold water
1. Combine flour and salt, cut in shortening. Gradually add cold water; toss with a fork until the
dough forms a ball.
2. Wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until easy to handle.
3. Roll out pie crust for a 9 inch pie pan. Transfer to pie pan, trim, and flute edges.
Filling
- 5 large tart apples, peeled & sliced thinly (I usually use what I have, which are sweet apples, and it makes the pie VERY sweet. So, depending on your tastes, you may need to adjust the sugar or make sure to use tart apples).
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 tsp. flour
- 1-1/4 tsp. cinnamon
4. Place apples in crust. Combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples (shake pie
slightly so sugar settles throughout).
Topping
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter
5. Combine flour and sugar in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
6. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees; bake 50-60 minutes
until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
I'm making this riiiight now :-)
ReplyDelete