Thursday, August 21, 2008

98 and lookin' good!!


One of my very best friends is Ms. Effie Heil. She was my neighbor for my last two years while I was at school in Oklahoma. While many of my friends were worried about having a date for Friday night, I would sometimes stay home and sit and chat with Effie about a time that is long gone. I always loved our chats. She is truly one of my dearest friends.
And talk about your "go-getter"! She lives alone, keeps her garden and takes care of any animal she can get her hands on, and does it all at 98 years of age! Actually, she just celebrated her 98th earlier this month. She's also a local celeb...everyone knows her as an avid Sooners fan who calls into the local sports radio stations every morning.
My other dear neighbor, Mary, has been an angel to Effie in so many ways. She had Effie and some of the neighborhood kids over so Effie could blow out her candles (all 98 of them ;) I miss my wonderful friends and neighbors on Lahoma Avenue!


With her newest addition, Leon (or Leo, as she calls him). A neighbor couldn't care for him so Effie was quick to take him in and give him the royal treatment!





3 comments:

  1. I love to check in every once in a while. Sounds like you are doing great, a little chilly for August, but doing great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post on Effie--she's one in a million for sure. My favorite Effie story is when Coach Stoops told her happy birthday, and her response was that Coach Switzer was her favorite Sooner....what a hoot.

    I loved our Sunday mornings on the front porch waiting for her church bus to arrive.

    -Jer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mi Seguito-

    A veces me puso pensar en ti y como te anda la vida. Veo que tienes una polola bellisima; que suerte tiene ella! Todavia estas compartiendo tu amor y animo a cualquier persona que tu encuentres. Ojala que te nunca cambies, porque siempe me haces sonreir.

    I love the blog, now that you're actually posting things. You can visit me and my little family at bigdaddyhoffman.blogspot.com

    Siempre con carino, Hma Winters

    ReplyDelete