Monday, September 21, 2009

Kayaking Eklutna

With our trip to Portage a success and my sister in town, we (my parents, sisters, and husband) decided to take a short trip out of Anchorage to kayak Eklutna Lake. Luckily Mitch was already an expert kayaker, since the rest of us were novices.

True to our roots, the cameras were out and snapping ahead of time.

It is very important to document every moment...like this moment when I called to Mitchell to pose for a picture, but he was avidly studying the weather patterns affecting our intense lake travel, thus leaving me to pose alone.

Setting out

I was ready to take on the lake! (despite my rather disheartening lack of upper-body strength...but then again, why do you think I opted for a two-person kayak?)


Not just any man can look so tough while wearing a "skirt."

The waters were a bit choppy, but we did manage to take a break between strenuous paddles for a photo.

The scenery and lake were beautiful...

...against which we didn't quite match up (but made up for with our wit and charm :)


*I'm passing off the keyboard to Mitchell, since the rest of the story really belongs to him...*

We found this straggler floating in the middle of the lake and quickly rescued him. He became affectionately known as "Wilson".

Needless to say, when it was time to say goodbye, I had a hard time letting go.


Me and Wilson before I chucked him back to sea.

You know how there's always that sneaky member of the family who leaves just a bit of ice cream in the carton or the last gulp of milk in the jug? Well, we somehow managed to leave a morsel of every snack we brought for our excursion...

...the remnants of which I arranged into a shape reminding us of the fun day we had kayaking on Eklutna Lake.

3 comments:

  1. FUN!!! I'm so sorry to hear about dear Wilson. My secret has been to be in the back of the kayak so Curtis doesn't realize I'm not doing anything. I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MITCHELL!!! I don't even know your wife, but I love her because she is so DAD-GUM CUTE!!

    If ever we find ourselves in Alaska (which has always been a dream of mine) we will give you guys a holla.

    The fruit art was excellent. Wilson was excellent. Alaskan scenery is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wilson seemed like a great log. I wish I could have met him.

    ReplyDelete