Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hold on!...Let me look into my crystal ball!

I use it every morning when I do the weather (or at least that's what they tell me) so why not use it for the presidential campaigns. I have been more interested in politics recently than I ever have in my life. The spin, the rhetoric, the "scandals", all the hub-bub surrounding Palin and her newly attained star power...I guess I'm just barely clueing in one just how unpolitical our political process is, especially at this level of government. I hear more about things that don't matter than I can believe. If one of the potential first ladies dresses is a slightly different hue of red than the background at the convention, I'm okay with that. I tells me a whole lot about what our society values and how deeply its moral roots run.
As for Palin, I have seen or heard nothing that tells me she would be any worse than any of the other candidates. Her intrigue (middle-aged good lookin' woman, five kids (one with a severe handicap), from Alaska (born and raised) and into things like hunting and fishing (and building natural gas pipelines) is palpable. I must admit, I've at times looked forward to getting off work and coming home to plop myself in front of FOX News, CNN, or MSNBC. That thrill is waining though (too much garbage to pick through) and I now find that I just like thinking and reading articles about the race. And, in a landmark first for me, I've taken to praying for guidance in my attitudes and eventually, in how I vote.

I liked McCain's convention speech. Do I feel certain that he will see to every point he spoke on?...not so much, but I'm hopeful. I'm hopeful for our country and our freedoms. And I'm hopeful for a humble leader who will direct himself by God's power, not by lobbyists and interest groups. Wouldn't that be wonderful! I have sometimes thought, "What a leader he would be (especially in todays world) if he counseled and encouraged the nation to set aside one night a week for the betterment and preservation of the family! What if he (or to be PC, she) called on businesses and all levels of government to make an effort to make that happen!" What if he stood up to the time-tested values that have gotten us where we are! What a difference it would make!!

Again, back to Palin, I think she has proved herself to be a very capable woman and I would hope that if elected, she would keep as much as possible out of Washington political sleaze. She seems to be more grounded than some of the lifelong politicians.


After all this, I'm still undecided.


I'm Mitch Sego, and I approve this message because I see a better world for the coming generation.

3 comments:

  1. If you are still undecided...any from reading your blog I kind of think you are leaning more in one direction than another...you need to check out this video clip on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIdbYjmbFzo
    It changed my views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. El Seguito. I added your blog to my google reader so I get a chance to see a transplant Alaskan's feeling about Palin. I agree she would be no worse than the other pols in this race. I empathize with your thoughts to run home an see what happened today which like a book whose story is finished just keeps on adding useless chapter after useless chapter soon becomes tedious to view. I am looking forward to the "debates" which are not real debates since the debators never get to question each other. In reality the choices are very clear: If you want more taxes or less taxes you konw which way to vote. If you want a US that is looking to shape the world vs one that is going to let the world figure itself out you know which way to vote. If you want the government to get more involved with our schools and health care or one that keeps the status quo you know which way to vote. If you want to move as quickly as possible away from fossil fuels or want to continue to use more fossil fuels and bridge to more gradually to renewable sources of energy you know which way to vote. If you want to include nuclear power in our energy policy or keep it out you know which way to vote. The only thing that counts for much is 8 years from now would you like the choice to be Palin or Biden.

    Merritt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mitch, when I was at Ricks and taking American Heritage, there was a quote in my textbook that I still remember. It went something like this..."Often time when it comes to voting the choices to fill a political office is like choosing between Twiddle-Dee and Twiddle-Dum." I cannot tell a lie…I am intrigued and captivated by Palin. She is a tough lady, but not masculine. She speaks with confidence, but doesn’t come across as smug and haughty. Am I a McCain fan…not really? However, I feel they are the best choice. To add one other qualification to Merritt’s comments…one requirement that I feel EVERY presidential nominee (and VP too) should have is an absolute commitment and extraordinary level of patriotism to this great country. In this regard, I think hands down, no contest, the republican tickets is the winner! Why would we want a President that was not proud of our country or has no respect for our flag and what it symbolizes? It would be like hiring a vegetarian to run a meat market! It doesn’t make sense and it is just plain wrong! - Rosalind

    ReplyDelete