Thursday, September 25, 2008

What a Way to start the Day!

A first happened to me this morning heading into work. But let me start at the beginning...

I woke up around 4 am and thought I'd lay around and ponder for a few minutes before I got ready. Well, a few minutes turned into 40 minutes (time is a funny thing that early in the morning) and next thing I knew I was racing to get out the door. The roads were wet with some rain overnight, but lucky for me, there's hardly anyone out on the roads that early. I was driving in the left lane of a 4-lane road with no median, when a car coming from the other direction made a U-turn right in front of me and forced me to quickly switch to the right lane as I went by.

My initial reaction was of course, "What the...?" as my heart rate jumped. But then, the weird part. As I passed slowly by, I saw the lights on the top of the car (yep, it was a cop) and then saw them turn on. Uh oh! The conversation went something like this...

Cop: "Why are you driving so fast?"

Me: "To be honest with you, I'm late for work."

Cop: "Do you know how fast you were going?"

Me: "Uhhh..." (I really had no clue but I think my estimate was close) "about 40 or 45."
Note: I'm not sure what the posted speed limit is exactly. It's either 35 or 40 mph.

Cop: "Where do you work?"

Me: "Channel 11 News. I'm a morning anchor."

Cop: (Looking into my back seat and seeing church paraphanalia) "Which ward are you in?"

Me: "The singles ward. In the North Stake. How do you know about wards? What ward are you in?"

Cop: "Turnagain Heights. Can you find your license and registration?" (I'm looking around all over for my wallet and registration and still haven't found it.)

Me: "I'm having a tough time finding my wallet. I thought it was around here somewhere."
Note: I've checked since...my wallet is at home not in my car...oops!)

Cop: "What's your first name?"

Cop: "Do you know your license number?"
(I repeat it to him. He must have believed what I was telling him.)

Cop: "Alright. Slow down and be safe getting into work."
(Walks off I think disappointed that he didn't ticket me.)

How 'bout that!!? A police officer almost hit me, then pulled me over, happened to be LDS, then let me go! I was baffled.

So, next time a cop almost hits you then pulls you over, you'll know you're not alone!

2 comments:

  1. Your first name is Robert? I'm going to start calling you Bobby "Speedy" Gonzales. By the way, you should have asked the hotdog vendor for a completo en vez de solomente diciendo "con cebolla". What kind of chileno are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't think there are any cops in our ward so I think he must have meant Airport Heights.

    ReplyDelete