Now that we'd decided on a birthday theme, memories of the fun, child-centered parties my mom used to throw reignited the former preschool teacher in me. Sprinkle in a little pinterest and a lot of self-restraint and voila! A doctor party in all its homemade glory.
I found several invitation ideas and let Charlotte pick one she liked best for us to try and recreate. Right away she liked this one and when I read her the words "You are invited to a Doctor Party" it sealed the deal.
| Construction paper version--Charlotte's job was decorating the bottom with colored pencil and stickers. |
The weeks before the big day, Mitch was working evenings, so I used my down-time while the kids were sleeping to sew up these bad boys. I have neither a sewing machine or a glue gun, so I hand-stitched them. I thought it added to the charm and figured the hassle of taking a sewing machine up and down wasn't really worth it in the end.
| I thought they turned out cute! |
The doctor kit and some patterned band-aids went inside to make a fun party favor.
| This would have delighted me as a kid--I still remember the party where we got miniature chalk boards to take home. I was thrilled! |
When the kids arrived, Charlotte gave them a "Doctor Badge" to put on their shirt. I had wanted to make headbands for them to wear, but I ran out of time. In the end, I was glad I didn't put in the effort because I don't think they would have lasted much more than five minutes on the kids' heads.
| The "badges" were a fun way for the kids to start getting into the theme. And a nice icebreaker for my girl who is, in her words, "A little bit shy....just a little bit." |
I set up the room to give the feel of a doctor's office (which probably didn't register to any of the kids--but I enjoyed it :) Charlotte put up the streamers by herself.
| Doctor books to read in the "waiting area." Inspired from this blog post. |
| My eye-chart decoration. I jimmy-rigged some drawing paper over cardboard--poster board would have been much more attractive. But what can I say, I'm all about using what you have! |
| The patients waiting for their doctors. |
| Medical supplies. Inspiration here and here. |
While we waited for everyone to arrive, the kids took care of the babies and stuffed animals. Out of cotton balls, q-tips, ace bandage, thermometers, and cotton rounds--thermometers and band-aids were the all-around favorites.
| The aftermath. |
Then we got the party started with the welcome song and some games. I wanted to stick with age-appropriate games, so we played Drop the Coin in the Jar, Duck-Duck-Goose, and Ring-around-the-rosies. The games went WAY faster than I had planned (oops), so I improvised and ran upstairs to pull out some streamers, our awesome hand-held tape cassette player, and my go-to kid's cassette. What can we say, we like to party like it's 1999, baby!
Then we read some of the doctor books that I had checked out from the library. Three of the kids were really interested, but the others just had fun running around with Elliot as the delighted ring-leader.
Then we ran upstairs for a few minutes of balloon play and cupcakes.
| I'm proud to say, I came up with these little gems all on my own. |
I debated whether or not to open presents, but went with it. I'm glad we did because several of the kids were especially excited to show Charlotte what they had brought.
| The circle quickly shrunk--too much excitement! |
We headed back downstairs for a game of Pin the Stethoscope on the Doctor.
| Yes, I drew it. Yes, I'm proud of it. |
| . ..and the shiny, tinfoil stethoscope chest-pieces. Very proud. |
We ended by tending to the rest of the patients...
..and playing with cars.
In addition to the doctor kits, we sent each kid home with one of these:
With a little note from Charlotte on the back:
All-in-all, I would say the party was a success. Not only did I have a fun time getting it all ready, but it was also high-energy with lots of friends--just what the doctor ordered.
Just what THIS doctor ordered!
Happy 3rd Birthday sweet girl!!!
That is so so cute Natalie, you did a great job!
ReplyDelete