Thursday, April 9, 2009

Rumble in the Tub

A couple days ago, I came home after work tired and feeling a bit sick. I had just flown into Anchorage around 1:30 am that morning and had to be in to work at 4:30 am, so needless to say, I felt worn down. I decided a nice soak in the bathtub was in order so I settled in, relaxed and calm as I've ever been.
A couple minutes into my divine relaxation, I felt the building shake. It rumbled for just a few seconds, then a louder and more intense earthquake shook things up. The water in the tub bounced around and I could hear the building creak and sway. That lasted for about 10 seconds (although, it always seems a lot longer) and I braced myself for another quake. It did not come but there were aftershocks for several minutes. The USGS was all over this one:

The epicenter was 18 miles North of Anchorage along Knik Arm. It was a magnitude 4.5. As you can see, there was little to no damage (although my cable was out and sirens went off after the quake) and light shaking but it's a tad more unnerving when you're in the buff.
I sat quiet in the tub, listening and trying to feel the tremors. Somehow, when it's quiet, it's easier to FEEL them. I was also very tense, as you might imagine. I thought about getting out of the tub and putting some clothes on but I didn't. What a sight to behold, had there been a big quake and I had to climb my way out of the rubble or someone had to come rescue me!!

So, what was intended to be a relaxing soak in the tub ended up being a shaky and tense soak in the tub. Better luck next time, Mitch!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the visual, Mitch. Did we really need you running through our minds like that? I remember a few earthquakes in Chile. One time our mamita was in the shower, and she ran to us in all her naked glory. . .
    Love the pics of you and Nat. So, so very cute together and genuinely happy. I just want to hug and squeeze you both. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuz, you really crack me up! Now let me go and poke out my minds eye! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. However I have heard that the tub is a very safe place to be in during an earthquake.

    ReplyDelete